Grocery shopping has always been a struggle for me. When I was single, I dreaded the task. I’d wait till my pantry was bare and worst yet, I was starving! Needless to say, I didn’t have much of a grocery budget and if it happened to be on sale, well then hell yeah, I’ll buy two!
Fast forward to 2009 when I began my money saving journey and out of need to penny pinch I was forced to begin using coupons and comparing sales ads for my grocery list. Couponing became a staple for me, almost an addiction. But no, I never became one of those crazy coupon hoarders, almost though!
My reality check to couponing
My coupon wake up call hit me one Christmas after receiving a large filing accordion, for none other than my coupons. This thing was huge, I could have fit my whole life story in there. Embarrassed, I changed gears, focusing on following blogs that would bring the deals to me.
Many personal finance bloggers will advise you to “stay away” from coupons, or “don’t waste your time” since your time is money and couponing provides a low return on value.
What if you don’t have to spend the time and effort?
Ta daaa! That’s where following coupon saving bloggers comes in handy. They take all of the leg work out of searching through coupons. Great coupon bloggers will provide you with links to printable coupons or they’ll mention which coupon marketing ad to cut out. Here’s my quick coupon saving strategy:
- Find coupon bloggers for the stores you frequently shop
- Google search “[your favorite grocery store + coupons]
- Sign up to receive e-mails from those bloggers
- Skim through those e-mails for deals
- Print or clip those coupons based upon the deals you select
I have skimmed off hours by following coupon saving bloggers. So many that I can’t imagine going back to my old ways.
Kroger shoppers read here!
Living in the Midwest, I have found Kroger to be the best deal for all around shopping. Not to mention that it’s conveniently located from my house. If you happen to shop at Kroger, check out these bloggers:
- Kroger Krazy – daily deal e-mails, must do deals and one of the best coupon databases.
- I Heart Kroger – daily deal e-mails and a great searchable coupon database.
- Coupon Mom – gives you the real low down on the best overall savings from the weekly flyers.
Know of a great coupon blogger? Spread the knowledge and save on!